First Date Night Post Baby

couple holding hands

During my pregnancy, Joey and I didn't get to go out on dates and make the most of our alone time before the twins arrived because I was always dizzy and had to go on bed rest for a long time. When I gave birth, going on a date became even more difficult because we had to feed the twins every 2-3 hours and I was also pumping to increase my milk supply. We also didn't have a nanny so our hands were pretty full. We were able to go out and do errands thanks to my mom and in-laws who would offer to babysit the twins. When we finally had nannies, we tried having a movie date night at home. That didn't turn out well because even though the nannies were minding the twins, we would still hear them cry. So we would end up pausing the movie to tend to the babies ourselves. When we got interrupted for the third time, we decided to just finish the movie another day. But we were really determined to go out and have a date like adults. 

It was a good thing that last year, while I was still pregnant, Joey was able to buy tickets to Coldplay's Manila concert. So we decided that the concert would be our official first date night post baby. We didn't think it would take us more than 3 months after giving birth to have a date night so we were really excited leading up to the day. Dressing up and getting to step out and watch a show like our old selves was such a gift. But that doesn't mean some funny/weird things didn't happen like:

Feeling so old
Because we reach and sometimes even exceed our 10,000 daily steps goal, we were under the impression that we could stand for 3 hours while watching our favorite band. We were wrong. So wrong. After the concert, our backs and knees hurt so bad that we both agreed that the next concert we would watch should have allocated seats.

Checking on the babies every 5 mins
Before leaving, Joey and I went through the twins' schedules with the nannies. And since we live in my mom's house, she was also there to check if the twins' feeding, sleeping and diaper changing times were being followed. This didn't stop us from calling or texting every 5-10 minutes to check if everything was ok. I guess this really happens to first-time parents. Even though we yearn for breaks when we're taking care of our babies round-the-clock, we always worry when we are away from them.

Looking at photos of the twins a lot
During the drive to the venue, we missed the twins right away! So I kept looking at their photos in my phone. Then, while waiting for the concert to start, Joey and I watched videos of the twins sent by my mom. The venue was really packed so I'm quite sure the people standing beside us were also able to watch Audrey trying to bite Antonino's arm about a hundred times!

Connecting all our conversations to the twins
We finally got to spend one-on-one time but we always managed to connect whatever topic we were discussing to the twins. For example, when were both telling each other what song we really wanted to hear the band play, we both suddenly asked each other what do you think the twins' favorite songs will be and what do you think their first concert will be? Every conversation always led to the twins no matter how hard we tried not to talk about them!

Discussing yucky baby stuff 
Yes, really romantic! Bowel movement may not be an ideal date topic but we still had a good laugh talking about the twins' stinky farts and poos.

Forgetting to take a selfie
Pre-baby, we would always have date night photos even if we don't post them at all. This time, even with all the people around us taking selfies, we still busied ourselves with watching the twins' videos. Good thing we were still able to take photos  and videos of the band's performance to remember the night by.

As post-baby date nights go, I can say this one was successful - back pains, baby poo conversations and all. We were finally able to have alone time and feel like ourselves again. Plus we had a post date night bonus of going home to our babies' cuddles.

6 comments

  1. Let me say this first--Congrats on having twins! That's double the blessing!

    True enough, once you have kids, your lifestyle changes too. I am still glad you were able to go out and watch the concert. I'd like to hear more of it though (Coldplay fan here!). I think you are finally embracing your parenthood at full speed that's why you keep on relating everything to your twins. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jill! Oh my, the concert was the best. It had a celebratory feel which really suited the moment because the fact that we were able to go out is a celebration in itself! Aside from their well-curated setlist (I loved hearing Yellow in person), I enjoyed the fireworks, lights and how interactive they made the concert. Chris Martin would tell the audience to jump/put our hands up and we would all follow him of course! The lightup wristbands which were given to the audience made us feel like we were part of the dazzling light display. I'm really happy Joey and I got to watch them live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congrats on the birth of your bubbas, and on being able to see Coldplay, haha! Seriously, though, while it's great being a new mum, it's a huge adjustment. Even after two kids (who are five years apart), I am still adjusting, my husband and I still have poop and snot conversations and it takes triple the effort to do anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martine! Yes I realized moms have to be really flexible. The moment you think you've adjusted and have everything under control, your babies suddenly have new needs! Of course everything's worth it when we get paid with those little hugs and kisses!

      Delete
  4. This is a fun read. When I go out as well, I would miss my baby. I would find myself looking at his photos and even watching some of his videos. Anway, im happy that you were able to go out and Have your mom to supervise in your absence.

    ReplyDelete