Teaching Kids About Easter

easter bible storybook

As a kid, Easter meant searching for plastic eggs containing tiny toys and chocolates. But as I grew a bit older, I learned that it should really be about giving thanks for the resurrection of Christ. Now that I'm a parent, I want my kids to be able to enjoy the sweets and at the same time understand what truly matters on this holiday: Jesus and what He did for us.

"So Jesus, whom we pray to every night was nailed to a wooden cross where he bled to death. But it's OK, he came back to life after 3 days! Don't be sad, here's some chocolate to make you feel better."

I'm kidding! That's not how I'm teaching Easter to the twins. Just this month we started reading the Precious Moments My Easter Bible Storybook to them. Even though babies don't really understand Bible stories, I still think it's great to introduce them to Jesus at an early age. The book contains short prayers and simple Bible stories which are perfect for kids. I believe that God gave us prayer to communicate with Him so exposing the twins to prayer helps them understand that God is always by their side and ready to listen. I appreciate how this book presents Bible stories in a language that makes it easy for kids to learn about Jesus' life and God's love for them. It also helps a lot that the teardrop-eyed Precious Moments characters are very cute. So it's not as scary and sad as my story above.

As the twins grow older and move on to reading the traditional Bible, I anticipate that they will have a lot of questions especially about the Passion of Jesus Christ. But for now, I'm really thankful we were able to find a Bible that makes this sad part of Jesus' life more accessible to tiny tots.

What children's Bible do you read to your kids? I would love to see them in the comments below.

Wishing you and your family a joyful Easter!

No comments