12 Things To Do When You're Pregnant With Twins

twin pregnancy tips
Last week, a twin mom-to-be messaged me this question:

"I'm 12 weeks pregnant with twins which was a total shock to me and my husband. Anyway, now the shock has subsided, but it has also been replaced with worry. Is it true that I will go into early labor? How did you handle your twin pregnancy? Any advice?"


First of all, let me just say I'm always thrilled whenever I meet twin parents / parents-to-be. It's like an instant bond forms because we're part of this exclusive twin parenting club. Thanks to Facebook groups, social media and my blog, meeting fellow twin parents has never been easier. Sometimes, I would get an email or DM asking for tips on twin pregnancy and parenting. I like to do my best to help at any opportunity so I would respond with lengthy DMs and emails. After reading the message above, I realized it would be a good idea to summarize the tips I've given on twin pregnancy by creating a list called:

12 Things To Do When You're Pregnant With Twins

Before I go on with the list, please remember that I am not a doctor so this list should not be taken as a substitute for medical advice. Always seek the advice of your OB with any concerns you have regarding your pregnancy. That being said, I'm still hoping my list will be helpful because it contains practical tips which helped me get through my own twin pregnancy. So, here we go...

Celebrate.
I admit that my initial reaction when I found out we were having twins was worry. I know... not good for a pregnant woman. But after telling our family, we realized we should be celebrating because of our double blessings! So if you just found out you're carrying twins, allow me to express my congratulations to you and welcome you to the exclusive club of twin parenting! I'm not one to sugarcoat things, twin parenting is hard but you instantly gain superhero status in the world of parenting for always pulling double duty. So give yourself a pat on the back and celebrate!

Remember that you are in good company.
I was so excited when Beyonce and Jay-Z, and George Clooney and Amal Alamudin announced their twin pregnancies. I instantly felt cooler knowing that I had something in common with Queen B herself! And I don't know if Joey will admit it, but he also felt the same way about being in the same boat with George Clooney. If you're a royal watcher,  Prince Albert and Princess Charlene of Monaco have boy-girl twins.  Locally, I can think of Carmina Villaroel and Zoren Legazpi, and Aga Mulach and Charlene Gonzalez. These couples both have boy-girl twins too. Hollywood on the other hand has plenty of twin parents like Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony, Chris Hemsworth and Elsa Pataky, Julia Roberts and Danny Moder, and let's not forget Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka. Can you say legendary? Yup, twin parents really are legen-wait for it... dary! Legendary!

Do not compare your pregnancy to a singleton pregnancy.
Why am I always tired while she can still stick to her regular activities? Why do I always have extreme morning sickness and she doesn't? These were the questions I kept asking myself during my pregnancy and I have to admit, they drove me a bit crazy. Once I realized that it was adding unnecessary stress to my pregnancy, I did my best to stop comparing. No two pregnancies are the same especially singleton and multiple pregnancies. When you start comparing, you will always find someone who has something you wish you also had. Instead of comparing, focus on celebrating those twin pregnancy milestones like feeling double kicks, hearing 2 heartbeats and passing all those screening tests.

Check your health insurance coverage.
When it comes to prenatal care, twin pregnancies mean more checkups and more tests. Based on my experience, checkups, 2D ultrasounds and the gestational diabetes screening test are covered while 3D ultrasounds and the Congenital Anomaly Scan are not. Knowing what's covered and what's not will help you prepare for your out-of-pocket costs.

Get a maternity support belt.
A twin pregnancy means carrying A LOT of extra weight. I experienced back pain as early as my second trimester but wearing a support belt helped distribute the weight of the babies evenly over my abdomen and back, and lessened my discomfort.

Never miss an appointment.
The many checkups and tests needed for twin pregnancies can get really tiring but all those doctor's appointments and tests help ensure that your pregnancy is progressing well. It also helps doctors spot health problems in order to provide the necessary treatment right away. In my case, we discovered I was already 5 cm dilated during a routine checkup. I didn't feel any contractions at all! I was only 33 weeks and 5 days pregnant then so my OB admitted me to the High Risk Pregnancy Unit (HRPU) at once. I was put on complete bed rest and given medicines to stop my contractions and to speed up the development of the twins' lungs. My OB and her team were able to prolong my pregnancy for 4 more days which gave the twins' lungs more time to develop. Had I missed my appointment, I would have given birth way earlier which could have resulted in respiratory complications and a longer NICU stay for the twins.

Be prepared for the possibility of bed rest.
Bed rest is pretty common in twin pregnancies. In most cases, it's prescribed by doctors to keep the weight of your little ones off your cervix. This helps stop your uterus from contracting, reducing the risk of preterm labor. If you lead an active lifestyle or are used to going to work everyday, bed rest can be pretty frustrating. Try to make things easier by making your room comfortable and having everything you need within arm's reach. Take advantage of the opportunity to rest and catch up on your reading or favorite TV series. It may also help you feel more productive if you set goals for yourself like finish reading 2 chapters of a book per day or organizing your photos. Bed rest may be challenging so you should always keep your end goal in mind which is to keep your babies in your womb as long as you can because each day they're in your womb will help reduce the time they may spend in the NICU if they come early. 

Organize your pregnancy/medical records.
During the course of my pregnancy (34 weeks), I had several tests and ultrasounds to monitor fetal growth, amniotic fluid and the twins' position in my uterus. That's a whole lot of information and a whole lot of printouts. Having a clear book helped me keep everything in one place and made it easy for Joey, me and my doctor to find the information we needed during checkups. It also helped a lot when I was suddenly admitted to the hospital at almost 34 weeks because we needed quick access to my medical records.

Get familiar with the signs of preterm labor.
Preterm labor is often a topic of concern in twin pregnancies. I remember my OB telling me that a complete full-term pregnancy lasts 40 weeks but since I'm carrying twins, she'll be happy if I reach 38 weeks. Giving birth at 38 weeks meant that my twins wouldn't be premature and wouldn't need to spend time in the NICU. With that in mind, she told me that I should familiarize myself with the signs of preterm labor such as:

Period-like cramps
Change in consistency of vaginal discharge
Pelvic pressure (like babies are pushing down)
Diarrhea
Vaginal bleeding
Lower back pain that doesn't go away even if you change positions
Contractions every 10 minutes or closer

As always, If you feel something is off, call your OB right away because she will be able to tell for sure if you need to come in to get assessed.

You don't need to buy two of everything.
When the time came for us to buy the twins' baby gear, Joey and I were both at a loss. We kept asking "Do we really need two ofeverything?" The answer is not really. (Although if you get gifted with 2 of everything at your shower, then lucky you!). Here's what we bought 2 of:

Car seats
Strollers
Cribs
Bouncy chairs

We bought one tub and one diaper bag. Then we borrowed swings and rockers from family which was a good decision since the twins got tired of using them in just a couple of months. They outgrew their bouncy chairs when they turned one (still money well spent because they helped calm the twins down when they would act fussy at the same time), and still use their car seats, strollers and cribs until now.

Pack your bag early.
My due date was in the middle of January so I figured I had the first few weeks of December to pack my hospital bag. I already had most of the stuff I needed. It was just the packing part that had to be done. As luck would have it, I suddenly had to be admitted to the hospital in the second week of December. Good thing I already prepared a list of things to pack so while my mom watched over me at the HRPU, Joey went back home to get everything. So I guess what I'm saying is it's never too early to start packing your hospital bag or at least drawing up a list to serve as a guide if someone else will be packing your bag for you. Check out this post for my list of things to pack.

Sleep.
Sleep like it's your job! You and your husband will be on duty day and night once your twins arrive so enjoy getting 8 or even more hours of sleep while you can.

Are you a fellow twin parent (or parent-to-be)? If there are any specific topics you'd like to read about, please let me know in the comments below. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments