Wanted: A Toddler-Proof Christmas Tree

toddler proof christmas tree

Audrey and Antonino just love Christmas trees. At home, they demand that we "Turn on tree!" (meaning the lights) even in the morning. Once the lights are turned on, they stare at it for a few seconds then try to grab the branches and ornaments. Yikes! My mom (aka LaMom) suggested that we put up a toddler-proof tree in the twins' playroom so I searched the internet for options. I found a lot of cute ideas but most of them required plenty of DIY tasks that I didn't have enough time for. So imagine my joy when after a few days, LaMom surprised Audrey and Antonino with a kiddie-sized Christmas tree! Actually, it wasn't just any tree. It was the Christmas tree she bought for me when I was 4 years old! She even let me decorate it on my own. I remember putting cotton on the branches because I wanted a winter wonderland-themed tree. How cool is it that now Audrey and Antonino can decorate my kiddie tree?

Our theme for the twins' tree was of course Mickey Mouse. The tree was already missing its legs so we just stuck it on a piece of foam and put it inside a round plastic container. To make it toddler-proof, we didn't put lights and we used non-breakable ornaments (Mickey Mouse-shaped appliques) which we tied to the tree with ribbons. It was the perfect solution for Audrey and Antonino. They loved rearranging the ornaments and I loved how we could sit and watch them without having to worry about them hurting themselves if something broke. We were able to relax! It was a Christmas miracle! Until Antonino discovered he could remove the tree from the pot...

toddler proof christmas tree 2

... and shake it. I think at this point he was just trying to show off to his uncles who were visiting. 

toddler proof christmas tree 3

Maybe next year we'll just get a small plush Christmas tree for the playroom. The one with all the trimmings sewn on. Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas!

No comments