The Twins Have Ice Cream And Cake For The First Time!

toddler first cake and ice cream

A few weeks ago, Audrey and Antonino celebrated two milestones: their second birthday and their first taste of ice cream and cake! What?! Your kids haven't had ice cream and cake before? Our choice not to feed the twins sweets during their first two years raised a few eyebrows but before you react, let me tell you why we did it.

I had Gestational Diabetes Milletus (GDM) when I was pregnant with Audrey and Antonino. I was diagnosed on my 24th week so aside from seeing my OB, I also saw an endocrinologist regularly to keep my blood sugar levels in check. Apparently, some hormones produced during pregnancy can interfere with the way insulin does its job. I was put on a strict diet and prescribed insulin shots. The diabetes went away after I gave birth but I was told that aside from watching what I ate, I should also watch what the twins ate because being born to a mom with GDM puts them at higher risk for diabetes. 

Delaying the twins' consumption of sweets was challenging and tricky especially when they stareted talking and we were at parties where they would see lots of people enjoying cake and ice cream. Our conversations would go like this:

Audrey/Antonino (A/A): Was daaaat? (What's that?)
Joey/Katzi (J/K): That's cake / ice cream
A/A: Want cake! Want askim (ice cream)!
J/K: Not now. You can have cake and ice cream on your birthday.

So that was our promise to them. They would get to eat cake and ice cream on their second birthday. And boy did they hold us to it! A week before their birthday, they kept on saying:

Cake! Cake! Adee eat cake on botday (birthday)!

Nino want askim on faday (Friday)!

Of course, we fulfilled our end of the deal and even documented it:



Did the videos get you confused? That's because my Tita Rose jokingly asked them:

How does it taste? Yucky, right?

She did it to help us avoid giving the twins a sweet tooth but ended up getting them confused about yummy and yucky. Hehe. Thanks for the support, Tita Rose! And don't worry, we got it all sorted out. The day after their birthday, we reread their book Yummy, Yucky which says:

Ice cream is yummy.
Too much ice cream is yucky.

I guess those lines ought to help us regulate their sugar consumption without depriving them.

No comments