Yummy Yucky, by Leslie Patricelli

yummy yucky board book leslie patricelli

Do you have a toddler who always tries to put everything in his/her mouth? I have two! Being a bit of a germophobe, this is one habit that I really want Audrey and Antonino to break. Their pediatrician told Joey and me that it's completely normal for little ones to explore the things around them with their mouths and what we can do is explain firmly which stuff go in the mouth and not by saying something like "We don't put toys in our mouth." So when I saw the book "Yummy Yucky," by Leslie Patricelli, I knew at once that it would be the perfect companion for teaching the twins what's safe for them to eat.

The book follows a single pattern. The unnamed toddler who is the book's main character starts by saying "X is/are yummy," then follows it up on the next page with "Y is/are yucky." It also uses examples that toddlers can relate to like:

"Soup is yummy. Soap is yucky."

"Blueberries are yummy. Blue crayons are yucky."

The second one is actually my favorite line in the book because when I introduced the twins to crayons, they would always try to put them in their mouths! Thanks to "Yummy Yucky," I can always tell the twins "That's yucky." which would make them leave whatever thing it is alone... 85% of the time. Good enough for me!

All in all, "Yummy Yucky" is a delightful read for both kids and adults. It's also a great choice if you're looking for a book that will help you explain the boundaries between edible and inedible things to your little ones.

Thinking of getting a copy? We bought ours from Fully Booked.

No comments