The Most Important Thing In Life According To Coach Jasikevicius

Coach Jasikevicius on Augusto Lima

The video below is very timely because we will be celebrating Father's Day two weeks from now. In it, a reporter asks Coach Šarūnas Jasikevičius of Zalgiris (a Lithuanian basketball team) what he thinks about their player Augusto Lima missing the playoffs for the birth of his child. His answer showed what it means to be a dad today.



Now more than ever, fathers are more involved in the pregnancy process from OB appointments to baby gear shopping to diaper changing. The role of caring for babies isn't limited to mothers anymore. I had a rough pregnancy which required me to go on bed rest for almost half the time. I always say Joey and I were very lucky to have bosses who understood what we had to do to prolong my pregnancy and keep the twins safe. Joey was there to take care of me when I was in the hospital's High Risk Pregnancy Unit where the doctors tried to stop my contractions in order to buy time for the twins' lungs to develop. He was also present during the twins' birth. Seeing our twins for the first time was such an amazing moment and I'm happy I was able to share it with Joey.

I really admire Coach Jasikevičius for acknowledging how important it is for parents to witness the birth of their children. As for Lima, he tweeted his thanks to his coach in Spanish basically saying that Coach Jasikevičius is a great man both on and off the court. I could not agree more.



No comments