The Foot Book, by Dr. Seuss

the foot book by dr seuss cover

I've loved going to bookstores ever since I was a child. When I was younger, my mom and I would always drop by the bookstore whenever we would go to the mall. There, she would let me pick any age-appropriate book I wanted to read. Book shopping is actually one of my favorite mother-child bonding activities which I also hope to share with Audrey and Antonino one day.

Well, that one day came sooner than I expected. During a recent trip to the mall with the twins, we visited Powerbooks to check if there were any new arrivals we could add to their collection. As I was browsing the display, Audrey suddenly leaned forward and grabbed a board book from the shelf: The Foot Book, by Dr. Seuss. She wouldn't let go of the book when I asked if I could see it so I just picked up another copy. In true Dr. Seuss fashion, it has lots of clever rhymes which make it a great read-aloud book so we bought it.

The Foot Book, by Dr. Seuss is a fun way to introduce toddlers to opposites. This board book is an abridged version of the original Foot Book published in 1968. It has short phrases in each page which compares opposites (Ex: big foot, slow foot, low feet, high feet, etc). It's also filled with bright illustrations featuring Dr. Seuss' outlandish characters. The illustrations correspond with the kind of feet being described in each page. The book is long enough to keep my two little ones under 2 entertained. They always laugh when they hear their favorite part:

His feet. Her feet. Fuzzy fur feet.

the foot book by dr seuss rhymes

It has also helped them become more familiar with the concept of opposites. They now always say "Wet!" whenever they wash their hands or accidentally spill water on their high chair trays. Then when we hand them a towel or tissue, they say "Dry!" after they finish wiping.

As the twins grow older, I think another important lesson this book can teach is that there are different kinds of people you meet in your lifetime. Of course, it's  a big concept to explain but at least this book is able to quickly introduce it to children. Not bad for a toddler's first book pick. Maybe in a few years the twins can write some of my kid book review posts.

No comments