Surprised by our favorite lullaby

you are my sunshine baby lullaby

When the twins were newborns, my go to song whenever they would cry was You Are My Sunshine. All I had to do was start singing it and they would instantly keep quiet. It was a win-win for everyone because the song helped me relax too. It worked in any given situation from the small stuff like when they would get cranky after waking up from a nap, to the big stuff like when they had to go through blood extractions during their hospital confinements. I must have sung the song at least 20 times a day in 2017.
 
Now that Audrey and Antonino are almost 2 years old, they've been trying to sing the song with me by filling in the last few words of each verse. So I checked online if the song had other verses. I was shocked to find out that it's actually a very heartbreaking song about a person who was left by his loved one for someone else. If you want to see the full lyrics, you can find it here. 

Am I the only one who didn't know this? But I guess in spite of the song's meaning, it will always have a special place in my heart because when I was a super new mom, it made me feel confident that I could easily calm the twins down with a simple song even if my voice wasn't fantastic.

Did you sing this song to your baby too? Were you as surprised as I was when you read the lyrics?

No comments