You're All My Favourites, by Sam McBratney

you're all my favourites sam mcbratney

It was a lovely surprise to see another book by "Guess How Much I Love You" author, Sam McBratney while I was bookshop browsing a couple of weeks ago. After reading the synopsis, I immediately went to the counter to ask if I could see the inside of the book. Good thing the lady who assisted me had to answer a call after she opened the book's plastic cover because I got teary eyed when I read it. I actually had to pause for a moment and compose myself before I could tell her I would be buying it.

"You're All My Favorites" is about three baby bears who start to wonder who among them their mommy and daddy bear like the best. In the story, each baby bear describes himself/herself according to birth order, color, gender, and size. These descriptions show how each baby bear is unique. However, in their young little bear minds, they tend to perceive their unique qualities as something that may prevent mommy and daddy bear from liking them best.

Through the baby bears' musings, the book shows that competition among siblings is a normal part of family life. I'm actually starting to see this in my twin toddlers. Although Audrey and Antonino may not be able to ask questions like the three baby bears yet,  their actions are starting to show the tendency for siblings (especially twins) to get competitive. When the three of us are in their play area and one of them is sitting on my lap, the one who's not sitting on my lap will try to nudge his/her twin away. It's as if not sitting on mommy's lap translates to less love for them.

As parents, we love our children unconditionally and want them to know that they are loved and cherished equally. "You're All My Favorites" does a great job in explaining to the baby bears that each one of them is loved the same because of their unique characteristics. The story shows the importance of celebrating each child's special quirks and talents, and how each child is irreplaceable. This is a really important concept especially for young kids who tend to wonder who is loved more by mommy or daddy.

"You're All My Favorites" is a great bedtime read. The watercolor illustrations create a dream-like feel, and the story helps parents reassure their children how loved they are. This book is highly recommended for twins who are subject to constant comparison as well as families with more than one child.

If you're thinking of getting the book, we bought our copy from Fully Booked. Remember to read it with a box of tissue!


No comments