My Wish List For All Mothers This Mother's Day

mother's day card

Last year, I had no idea I was already pregnant when I celebrated Mother's Day with my family. Now, I'm a mom of twins celebrating my first Mother's Day! It's exciting to be on the receiving end of this holiday for the first time. But, in the spirit of giving, I also came up with a list of 7 things I wish for every mom this Mother's Day. Here it is:

  1. To get 2 extra hours of sleep
  2. To watch your favorite TV series with lots of chips and chocolates
  3. To be pampered with a spa day or a mani/pedi at the very least
  4. To have an hour of uninterrupted reading time
  5. To enjoy a nice meal without being interrupted
  6. To have the ability to decode what your baby's cry means in an instant. Yup, I know this one's kind of unrealistic but a girl can dream! And finally, the most important wish of all...
  7. To know that no matter what parenting style you choose, as long as you add love, everything will be alright.

Of course, I cannot let Mother's Day go by without honoring 2 ladies who have shown me what being a good mother is.  First is my mom who hasn't stopped being a mother to me even though I'm already a mom myself. I remember when we first brought the twins back to her house, she was busy attending to my needs while I attended to the twins' needs. She always made sure my favorite dishes were prepared while I breastfed the twins. She also took care of the twins by herself so I could have an afternoon to myself to do personal errands. To me, she is a super mama and the best role model I can ever have. 

Second is my grandmother whom I call Lola. This is our first mothers day without her as she passed away last March after 3 years of battling cancer. It's a sad time for the family because as my mom and her siblings would always say, Lola was our true north who would always lead us to the right path. Lola was the original super mama who would never get sick and would do anything for her children. She even took care of us, her grandchildren and was also present in her great-grandchildren's lives. I'm happy that Audrey and Antonino were still able to meet her last January. Antonino even did a trick - rolling over from belly to back which made Lola truly happy. During that visit, Lola was also able to share with me some of her thoughts on motherhood and caring for newborns. I feel so lucky I was able to experience her guidance from childhood until my early weeks of motherhood. My hope is that in time, with her and my mom's examples, this starter mama will also become a super mama like them.

No comments