Making Life Grand

grandparents

I come from a tight knit family and my grandparents are a major part of my life. When I was younger, my Lolo (grandfather) and Lola (grandmother) would always be ready to babysit me and my cousins whenever our parents were at work and we didn't have nannies.

Lolo would spoil us by cooking our favorite food and giving us special treats like chocolates and ice cream.  He would also tell us stories from his childhood which we would all enjoy listening to. Lola, whom our family said goodbye to early this year is a saint! Aside from going to mass everyday (sometimes even twice a day) to pray for us, she would always make time for us. She played with us, sewed our costumes for school activities and even tutored us in Math.


My childhood was enriched because of my Lolo and Lola which is why it's important to me that the twins have a great relationship with their LaMom and Mima. The twins are very lucky to have two doting grandmothers. And since it's grandparent's day today, I made a list of how I think grandparents make life grand.

They are great at calming fussy babies. 
I don't know how they do it. Whenever my or Joey's rocking and shushing won't work, LaMom and Mima would volunteer to hold them and the moment they do, the twins settle down. It's like magic!

They rescue us. 
It's challenging to look for nannies for twins. But during the times when we would end up nanny-less, the twins had the best caregivers anyone could ask for in their grandmothers. They took care of the twins like they were their own kids and because of that, Joey and I were also able to nap and even step out to do personal errands and go on a quick date.

They are our greatest cheerleaders.
It's easy to second-guess yourself and your decisions as a first-time parent. Joey and I are both lucky that LaMom and Mima are here to watch us and guide us as we become parents and offer words of reassurance that help make us more confident in our parenting skills.

They love their grandchildren unconditionally. 
We all know that parents have unconditional love for their children but what makes it sweeter is that this unconditional love extends to their grandchildren... despite their unexplainable crying fits.

They are the ultimate prayer warriors. 
Through my difficult pregnancy, the twins' stay in the NICU and our everyday lives in raising the twins, LaMom and Mima have always been active in prayer. I am confident that the twins will always be protected thanks to the prayers of their grandmothers.

Happy first grandparent's day, LaMom! Happy grandparent's day, Mima! Thank you for always being here for us. You have truly made our lives grand. We love you!


Be sure to thank the grandparents in your life and tell them how they make your life grand.

No comments