That's Not My Baby, by Fiona Watt

that's not my baby fiona watt

Even though they cannot read yet, Audrey and Antonino have been showing an early interest in books. Whenever they see a book lying around their play area, they pick it up, flip and chew (oops!) its pages, and then hand it to me to read to them. With every page turn, they squeal with delight, imitate sounds and reach for colorful pictures.

It makes me so happy that both Audrey and Antonino enjoy reading time so I want them to have more positive interactions with books. That's Not My Baby is perfect for this because it's a touch-and-feel book that has a different texture in each page that keeps touch-oriented tots engaged. The book goes through several textures (silky, fluffy, fuzzy, etc.) of common objects which babies use everyday like a bib, teddy for the baby girl, and a hat and toy duck for the baby boy. Yup, it comes in boy and girl versions! So while we normally make the twins share their books, we made an exception for this one and got them each a copy.

that's not my baby fiona watt twins

It was worth it! The big and simple photos, and the short sentences make it suitable for non-readers. And at 5x5 inches, it's just the right size for toddlers to manipulate on their own. Even after reading time, the twins love flipping the pages on their own and exploring the unique textures. I really love it when they get to the last page which contains a mirror because I always see them smiling at themselves while repeating the word "baby."

All in all, That's Not My Baby is great for helping tots experience the world around them through touch as well as sight and hearing while being read to. It's a great starter touch-and-feel book perfect for babies and toddlers.


Thinking of getting the book? We bought ours from NationalBookstore.

No comments