Twin Tips: Signs of Preterm Labor

signs of preterm labor

Preterm labor is often a topic of concern in twin pregnancies. I remember my OB telling me that a complete full-term pregnancy lasts 40 weeks but since I'm carrying twins, she'll be happy if I reach 38 weeks. Giving birth at 38 weeks meant that my twins wouldn't be premature and wouldn't need to spend time in the NICU. With that in mind, she told me that I should familiarize myself with the signs of preterm labor such as:

Note: This list is not to be used as actual medical advice. It's just an informative guide from the notes I was able to take down during my prenatal checkups. Please always consult your doctor for any questions or concerns you have.

Period-like cramps
Change in consistency of vaginal discharge
Pelvic pressure (like babies are pushing down)
Diarrhea
Vaginal bleeding
Lower back pain that doesn't go away even if you change positions
Contractions every 10 minutes or closer

While I hope you never have the need to use the information above, being aware of the symptoms of preterm labor can help you get immediate care if needed. Also, as someone who went through a twin pregnancy last year, I would like to share 2 more tips:

Never dismiss the symptoms above as normal discomforts of a twin pregnancy. If you feel something is off, call your OB right away because she will be able to tell for sure if you need to come in to get assessed.

Never miss a checkup. Being pregnant with twins means more checkups and tests which can get tiring but all those doctor's appointments and tests help ensure that your pregnancy is progressing well. It also helps doctors spot health problems in order to provide the necessary treatment right away. In my case, we discovered I was already 5 cm dilated during a routine checkup. I didn't feel any contractions at all! I was only 33 weeks and 5 days pregnant then so my OB admitted me to the High Risk Pregnancy Unit (HRPU) at once. I was put on complete bed rest and given medicines to stop my contractions and to speed up the development of the twins' lungs. My OB and her team were able to prolong my pregnancy for 4 more days which gave the twins' lungs more time to develop. Had I missed my appointment, I would have given birth way earlier which could have resulted respiratory complications and a longer NICU stay for the twins.


It's true that modern medicine is now more capable of handling premature infants. But the best incubator is still the mother's womb. This is why I highly encourage you to start discussing the warning signs of preterm labor with your OB so you will know what to do in each case. The more you know, the better prepared you will be.

No comments